Do you have an uncomfortable lump on your gums that is beginning to cause a lot of pain? If you have not yet had the lump examined by a dentist, you might want to do so as soon as possible. The reason why is because the lump may have developed from your gums being severely infected. The lump might be an abscess, which means that it is filled with pus that is dangerous and toxic to your health. Browse through the information below to get a general idea of what you should know about a dental abscess.
The Dangers of a Dental Abscess
You don't want to allow a dental abscess to remain on your gums for a long time. The reason why is because you will be at risk of the pus getting out of the lump and causing serious health problems. Basically, the toxic pus can seep out of the lump and flow into your bloodstream. If the toxins get into your bloodstream, they will flow all over your body. You can end up suffering from a dangerous condition known as sepsis, or many other serious problems can develop that are possibly life-threatening.
How a Dental Abscess Develops
A dental abscess will usually develop when oral health has been neglected for a long time and a cavity develops. For instance, if you don't have a good habit of brushing your teeth on a regular basis, there is the possibility that an excessive amount of plaque has accumulated on your teeth and created a cavity. The worst thing about an accumulation of plaque is that it contains bacteria that is bad for your health. The bacteria can get into the cavity and cause a gum infection that usually starts off as gingivitis, but can develop into periodontitis. The abscess forms as a result of the bacteria being present for so long.
The Treatment That You Need
Don't attempt popping a dental abscess on your own because it can lead to you ingesting the toxic pus. You will need the help of a dentist to get rid of the abscess. He or she will prescribe antibiotics, and you will likely need to get a root canal as well. A root canal involves the removal of diseased pulp from the tooth that has a cavity in it. The toxic pus will also be drained from the abscess during the process, but in a way that prevents you from accidentally consuming it.